(It’s not often I blog beyond the confines of Arden St, but this really pisses me off.)
You would have all heard of poor Mathew Stokes’ plight. My question is, who killed him (or at least his career)? The suspects are:
- Victorian Police – Stokes was allegedly found with one gram of cocaine. Apparently he bought two grams for $850. How exactly does that constitute trafficking when a “traffickable quantity” is defined as 3 or more grams? Possession, maybe. Trafficking, fuck off!
- Media – Covering the shit out of the issue in the most sensational forms only turns the public against Stokes.
- Geelong Football Club – Forced by the media and misinformed public to abandon their own.
- AFL – As above.
- WADA – Why can’t we create standards for sportsmen that are based on education and rehabilitation rather than incrimination and humiliation?
- State/Federal Governments – Who created these shit criminal drug laws anyway? And who really cares what WADA thinks?
- You – The football obsessing public can’t get enough of this sort of drama. Aren’t we all just feeding the machine? The media respond t0 the public’s insatiable desire for scandal, who prompt the GFC, AFL, Govt, Police to respond by crucifying Stokes’ career?
I’m tipping all of the above, but mainly 7.
Can anyone tell me why this incident affects Stokes’ career? It wouldn’t affect any of our careers, be it doctor, lawyer, journalist or public servant? Surely taking football away from Stokes would only increase the risk of repeat offense (if indeed he is guilty in the first place)?
Apart from Stokes himself, undoubtedly the biggest loser in this whole affair is football. Some of the game’s greatest players have had shady pasts – incidents like this will only persuade clubs to stop drafting them, until all we’re left with is a bunch of priests and nerds playing our once great game.
It’s time some of us made a stand against this shit. I’m just not sure how …